Monday, January 1, 2018

2017 Was a Year for the Books

Holy Crap! What a year it has been! As I look back on the year, my primary emotion is relief that we survived and are moving forward. I only blogged a handful of times this year as life was so overwhelming and I could barely write about it, let alone process it. So here are a few highlights:

Our Big Accomplishments

1. I took the online Genealogy Certificate course through Boston University.
It was one of the best things I have ever done. I still love learning in a formal setting and this graduate-level course whetted my appetite for additional education. Not only did I absolutely love the research work but I learned that my instincts and research skills are pretty good. My final project was pretty amazing as I was able to uncover the story of a lost and forgotten ordinary Civil War soldier based on a letter he wrote that is housed in the Putnam County NY archive. Upon completing the course, I hung out my shingle for my own genealogy consultant firm.

NY 44th Regiment Monument on Little Round Top at Gettysburg. George P. Read was a private in the NY 44th and fought in the battle on Little Round Top during the Battle of Gettysburg in the summer of 1863. This monument has George's name listed on a plaque with the names of his fellow comrades who fought there.


2. Walter completed his Eagle project and earned his Eagle Award.
Walter had a crappy year health-wise but still managed to complete his Eagle project. With a group of volunteers, he photographed each gravestone in a pre-Revolutionary War cemetery that was in desperate need of documentation. Then he led a team of volunteers in transcribing the information on the photographs. The photographs were printed and put in an album along with the transcriptions. This summer Walter's completed paperwork was destroyed in our stupid house fire so he had to fill all that out again. He barely made the deadline before his birthday in October. At the end of October, we held his Eagle Court of Honor where he received his award.


3. Jonathan turned 8 and was baptized by Walter.


4. Winter finally figured out how to use the toilet and we are now a diaper-free household.
It has been almost 18 years straight of using diapers in our house so this is a BIG moment, perhaps the biggest of 2017.



Travels
We are still a traveling family, even if our travels are limited to the United States.

We went to Gettysburg over Independence Day and enjoyed watching a re-enactment and immersing ourselves in a pivotal moment in the history of the United States. While I had an amazing time, my offspring informed they are burnt out of doing historical things and would like to have more frivolous fun. (Ironic as I take them to fairs, carnivals, pumpkin picking, etc.)


I went to Wyoming with Winter in May and July. In May my sisters and I attended the temple with my youngest sister who went to the temple for the first time. In November, my sisters and I surprised my dad for his birthday. It was so good to be with all my sisters and parents.




We had a lot of fun in New York this year and I have gained a deeper appreciation for my adopted home state. Here are some of the places we explored: New York City, Jones Beach, Peekskill Civil War monument, Intrepid, the Adirondacks, Cold Spring, Untermeyer Gardens, Muscoot Farm, Dubois Apple Picking Farm....





After our stupid house fire, I took the kids to Wyoming for a month. We enjoyed visiting Yellowstone National Park, Thermopolis Hot Springs, Cody Nite Rodeo, Cheyenne State Archives, Old Trail Town, Petroglyphs outside of Ten Sleep,  and experienced a 98.6% solar eclipse.






The Stupid House Fire
Our most pivotal moment occurred on Monday, July 24th, where a house fire wreaked serious havoc on our home and our lives. We lost about 98% of our physical possessions, the entire interior of our house has to be rebuilt from the studs up, and we are living in a temporary home.  The process has been slow and there have been significant hiccups, but we are doing okay. My kids have been remarkably resilient, responding to the loss with courage and strength. I'm so proud of them. I don't know how or why, but Brent and I have been so blessed with extraordinary children. We have also been blessed with wonderful family and friends who showered us with love, support, money, clothing, food, furniture, pots and pans, scrapbook supplies, and help in every conceivable way possible. I'm sad about our losses and frustrated by the delays, but I know we are going to be okay. Most importantly, I am grateful that the children and I escaped the fire without harm and were even able to save the structure of our house.



I am so excited to be saying farewell to 2017 and even happier to say hello to 2018, the year our house gets rebuilt (cross both fingers and knock on wood). 

No comments: