Friday, January 29, 2016

"Better Than Before": summarizing and learning from the book: Pt. 1

I'm a big fan of Gretchen Rubin. I've read most of her books and have utilized them to create happiness in my life. Lately, I've noticed that I have a deep desire to great habits--not so much goals, although I do enjoy making and keeping goals. But really, deep down, I want to make habits that last a lifetime and lead to big changes over my lifetime. I bought the book sometime ago, but had a hard time reading it. I have learned that with certain types of info, I need to listen first and then read later. I almost all the way through the audio version and have had a lot of thoughts and realizations. I am now re-reading the book and working my way through the exercises.  (note, this series is not intended to ever replace the book--it is just a way for me to work through it so I can implement habits in my life. I recommend if you are serious about changing your habits, you should buy the book.)

In the note to the reader in the book, Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives, the author, Gretchen Rubin states, "Habits are the invisible architecture of daily life...If we change our habits, we change our lives...But we each must cultivate the habits that work for us."

This really struck me because it is absolutely true. I have observed that my children do better when we have routine and schedules. We are healthier, happier, and nicer to one another when we have good habits.

Rubin suggests that you identify habits you would like to develop before you start with the book, so here is my list:

1) Exercise daily so I have energy and strength to get through my days. Also, I want to build muscle mass as I head into my 40's so that the latter half of my life is productive. This habit will also help me continue to sustain good health with my lupus.

2) Improve eating habits--especially reducing or eliminating consumption of sugar. This will also help me as I deal with lupus.

3) Implement a daily scripture study habit so that I will develop spiritual strength, great fortitude and faith, and be more in tune with the Spirit. I am also anxious to learn and grow in my gospel knowledge.

4) Develop a cleaning routine in my house that is sustainable so I don't spend all my time cleaning. I want to have a clean, orderly home. I am happier and function better when my home is orderly and clean. It doesn't have to be spotless, but functional.

5) Create daily. I find great joy in being creative in writing, music, and scrapbooking. It gives me a lift and I am a nicer person to be around. I often don't take the time I need to be creative. Or I am too tired to be creative.

6) Read daily from the classics. There are so many books I have wanted to read, but I often read fluff. I want to be inspired by powerful works that push me to think.


© 2007-2016 TIFFANY WACASER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED



No comments: