Thursday, June 7, 2018

Thoughts on a Late Spring Day

Right now my yard looks like this with a big gaping hole, a mangled old (and holey) septic tank, and a small excavator working its magic. I'm familiar with the look of dug up dirt, tracks from machines, and the earth torn up from my dad's work as a dirt contractor building roads and bridges when I was a kid, to now working at a gypsum mine. We are putting in a new septic tank and fixing some problems in the system so that it will function well and efficiently once our house is rebuilt.


Speaking of my house, a lot of work has been done already. Most of the inside has been framed. We've picked out the most essential pieces of the bathrooms so the plumbing can be installed.


I'm starting to think about paint colors and other details that need to be decided. After all these months of waiting and stress, this is really starting to feel real.

My yard is a total mess with overgrown grass, trees, and bushes that need to be trimmed, and branches that need to be cleaned up. I love my yard and hate to see it suffer. But next year I will be able to tend it properly and make changes there.

In the meantime, the peonies were generous this year and are bringing me joy in my temporary house.

No comments: