Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Looking back-and how the past, present, and future always seem to intersect

Summer has gone by far too quickly. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was welcoming my kids home off the bus for summer shenanigans? How did we get here to stuffing back packs with brand-new pencils, unblemished notebooks, and a pantry full of lunch goodies? Tomorrow, it will be just the baby and I, hanging out. The last time it was just me and a baby was almost fifteen years ago when my husband was still in school. I found my days hard to manage then, so filled with diapers and nursing. I don't think I could have imagined my life as it is now with five kids in school and a baby at home.

So this last day before school has been filled with complete laziness for my kids. They lounged in front of the TV watching shows and playing Wii. I made sure all those backpacks were filled and caught up on neglected housework.

Seems like that is life--always changing but somehow staying the same. I repeat the same patterns over and over again. I must be getting old because I find myself transported to similar points in my past--when my oldest was getting that backpack ready for kindergarten in Sweden. It also pushes me towards the future when in five short years, my baby will step on the bus and my time with kids at home full-time comes to an end.

It goes by so fast. Not every moment is enjoyable. There seem to be a lot of painful moments, in fact. Thankfully, the sting fades and I don't have to cringe as I look back.


© 2007-2016 TIFFANY WACASER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: