Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Wandering in My Dreams

In my dreams I explore foreign places, both familiar and new. Sometimes I wander the cobble-stoned streets of Lund and visit old friends. I speak Swedish poorly and lament the loss of my vocabulary in my dreams. Sometimes I am setting up an apartment in these dreams.
http://ezchange.wordpress.com/2012/10/05/jag-bor-i-lund-nu-i-live-in-lund-now/

In other dreams, I feel the shimmery heat of the desert in Riyadh. I feel the weight of the abaya falling on my shoulder. I hear the call to prayer filling the air. My dream self meets my friends in Riyadh and spends time talking with them.


The other night, I dreamed a vivid dream of Bulgaria. My two oldest boys were gone--in college and on a mission, while the other four children were with me. We were living in a small apartment and trying to get it outfitted for our family. My husband was working at a university. I was teaching English. My mornings were free after getting the kids off to school, so I would walk around or take a bus, and sometimes stop in a coffee shop and get a pastry. In my dream, I was looking for some thrift stores to pick up a few necessary items for our place. I was also studying the language and trying to use what I could as I walked around. The streets were cobblestoned and the buildings were grey.

I awoke from my dream with vivid images still fresh. I don't know why my brain hit upon Bulgaria. I have never thought of visiting Bulgaria. I had to look it up on a map to even locate it. When I think of Bulgaria I think of the Iron Curtain, the Cold War, and the Soviet Union. All kind of ominous and dark things.

Of course, I had to do some research about the country. Bulgaria is bordered by Greece and Turkey to the south, Macedonia and Kosovo to the west, the Black Sea on the East, and Romania to the north. Sofia is its capital, which lies quite a bit inland. It has a rich history filled with connections to Greece, Macedonia, and Turkey. It was a part of the Ottoman Empire for five centuries and then eventually came under Soviet rule. It currently has an emerging market economy and is governed by  a unitary parliamentary republic.

Some interesting links to explore:

36 Hours in Sofia

The Official Tourist Site of Bulgaria

Bulgaria: the Wikipedia entry

Bulgarian Cuisine

Such an interesting place. And now I want to visit.

© 2007-2016 TIFFANY WACASER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


No comments: