Thursday, August 11, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Madeline L'Engle

I originally posted this piece on my blog, A Stranger Here, on August 18, 2007. It caught my eye while browsing through my archives and I felt it worthwhile to repost. 

Madeleine L’Engle is one of my all-time favorite writers. Many people know her as the author of A Wrinkle in Time. She has written many fictions stories and some wonderful non-fiction essays.
I have my own little personal story about her. She spoke at my University graduation and gave a beautiful speech about creating a life that can’t be eroded away by time or winds of trial. Anyhow, a few months later, I reread A Wrinkle in Time and I wrote her and thanked her for her great work as an author and for her fine speech at my graduation. And a few months later, I received a handwritten note back. I like her even more because she didn’t have to write and respond to my note.
Anyhow, last week, I found an old interview of her on the internet. I wanted to link it and share it  and particularly highlight my favorite quote. It’s worth reading through.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4926262/ (Unfortunately, the link is no broken. I'm so glad I preserved this section of the piece, because it is truly profound.)
 And my favorite quote in the interview?
So to you, faith is not a comfort?
Good heavens, no. It’s a challenge: I dare you to believe in God. I dare you to think [our existence] wasn’t an accident.
Many people see faith as anti-intellectual.
Then they’re not very bright. It takes a lot of intellect to have faith, which is why so many people only have religiosity.
© 2007-2016 TIFFANY WACASER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: