Sunday, March 20, 2016

Spiritual Sunday: Fighting the Green Briars

A few weeks ago, inspired by the gorgeous warm weather, I decided to tackle the flower beds in my back yard. The past few years I haven't had the time or energy to work on these areas and so they have been vulnerable to the vagaries of the wild and nature.

One patch was particularly bad, totally overgrown with briars and invasive plants. My hands, despite wearing heavy gloves, were full of stickers after digging and raking put the briars. As I worked, I was appalled to discover that these green briar bushes had invaded our back woods and have been stealthy encroaching on our grass and flower beds. 



My friend came over and helped me tackle a bunch of the briars. We made some good progress, but I still have a lot of work to do. My boys and husband need to help me because I need their strength and energy to successfully fight this threat. You may laugh and wonder why it matters, but if I am not diligent, it will overtake my yard. 

Garden analogies work so well when applied to the gospel. I think there are many things that encroach upon the foundation of our testimony. It seems I haven't properly appreciated the amount of effort it takes to guard and grow a testimony. As I have focused my efforts on my testimony in the past year, I have seen how my neglect has hurt me and how I unintentionally allowed briars to grow. The only way I can adequately protect my testimony is through daily, focused effort. It is truly satisfying and joyful work.


© 2007-2016 TIFFANY WACASER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: