Sunday, June 12, 2016

Spiritual Sunday: Surrendering to the Atonement

A week ago we had Stake Conference where our Stake Presidency was released and a new Stake Presidency was called. We had two General Authorities attend conference. The Saturday Evening session was unlike any adult session I have ever attended.

The two General Authorities, Stake Presidency members, and a couple other speakers spoke briefly--no more than 5 minutes. Then after each speaker, one of the General Authorities would stand up and have a dialogue about the remarks and ask what impressions we had received and asked us to share. It was an incredible way of teaching and a powerful way of engaging the audience in a dynamic experience where they are part of the teaching and learning process.

One speaker shared his experience of being diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy and how he has received help and comfort through the power of the Atonement. He said that sometimes you have to have the faith not to be healed, which struck me deeply.

As I have pondered the atonement, I realize that we often want to limit the atonement to being forgiven of our sins. I don't want to devalue that because that is certainly one of the most important aspects of the atonement. But we limit Christ's influence and power in our lives when we say that He only atoned for our sins. The atonement is vast, infinite, and eternal.

Surrender to the atonement. Surrender every aspect of your life to the healing touch of the Savior's love. Allow your sorrows, disappointments, pains, and challenges to be healed. Allow peace and joy to come into your life from the atonement.

I've been able to observe a dear friend experience transformation through the Atonement. She taught me that the crucial aspect of receiving that transformation is accepting the gift that Christ gave. For awhile, my friend thought she wasn't worthy or capable of receiving the Atonement. It took a lot of work and letting go, but she was finally able to open herself up to Christ's redeeming love. I have never seen something so dramatic or wonderful in my life.

I want to experience that in my life in the little and big moments. That means opening myself up in a way that I haven't been able to do. I had an experience a few weeks ago that gave me a glimpse of what that feels like in my life. I still have a lot of work to do, but it is worth it.

What experiences have you had with the atonement? Do you think we (unintentionally) limit the power of the atonement in our lives? How do you open yourself up to the Savior?



© 2007-2016 TIFFANY WACASER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


No comments: