Thursday, June 16, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Squaws Along the Yukon

When I was a kid, my dad used to sing a silly song called, "Squaws Along the Yukon". It is funny and silly. I'm sure he loves it because his great-grandfather (Thomas Anderson) went to the Yukon during the gold rush after 1900 and died there. He and my grandpa were always fascinated with the gold rush and the Yukon. Our whole family can practically recite "The Cremation of Sam Magee". Anyhow, back to the song.

My dad said that when he was dating my mother, he starting singing that song, and she joined right in. She was the first woman he ever met that knew that song. The song is a part of my childhood and I still sometimes burst out singing the funny chorus.



And in case you don't know the poem, "The Cremation of Sam Magee", you should listen or read it.



Do you have family songs or poems that evoke funny or strong memories?

© 2007-2016 TIFFANY WACASER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: