Sunday, July 31, 2016

Spiritual Sunday: Belief

Belief in God--a Heavenly Father who loves us and watches over us is a funny thing when you think about it. Belief in God and attending church for three hours every Sunday and then devoting significant amounts of time to serve within one's community can also be strange to consider. Belief in church doctrines that seemingly restrict one's choices and actions is often perceived as not only strange, but radical.

There have been times when I have wondered why I have placed myself so firmly in the camp of belief. Would I have voluntarily chosen the life I'm living if I hadn't been born into a Mormon family? Truthfully, I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that choosing to move forward with my life in belief has been a conscious choice, even when I've struggled with doubt and questions.

I believe in God because I have had personal experiences with Him. I believe in a Prophet because I have seen what my life is like when I heed his counsel. I believe and act upon commandments, because I see the strength I gain from them, and because I have witnessed the devastation that trails through people's lives when they discard those commandments. I choose to raise my children in a paradigm of belief and faith because I want my children to have a strong foundation of faith. I align myself with my church community, because I have been able to move around the world encircled in the safety of that community. I choose faith because I have experience miracles that I cannot doubt.

Belief in God is a funny thing because it is so personal and can't be measured by quantifiable scientific standards.

Do you believe in God? Do you feel challenged by your faith or beliefs? 

© 2007-2016 TIFFANY WACASER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


No comments: