Thursday, July 7, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Once I Was a Cowgirl

When I was three-years old, my dad put me on a horse and led me around. I was hooked. Over the years, I rode with my dad as often as possible. I learned how to groom a horse, how to approach a horse correctly, how to saddle a horse, and how to mount a horse properly. I know exactly how a horse smells when they have gotten a workout and are sweaty. It's earthy and almost leathery.


Eventually I moved away to go to college. A few years later, I got married. My husband and I started moving our family around the world and ended up in New York. It has been many years since I have ridden a horse. My budget doesn't run to owning a horse right now.



Back in Wyoming it was lovely to go to the rodeo and see all the cowboys line up watching other cowboys compete. The sights, sounds, and smells comprise the landscape of my childhood.


These days, I'm a little nervous and rickety to get up on a horse confidently. It would require lots of time and practice to regain my former skill. Occasionally my dreams remind me of the thrilling feeling it is to run on a horse on the wide open landscape of Wyoming.



The other day while tending my garden and listening to a favorite George Strait song, my husband said, "I hope this doesn't offend you, but I have always thought of you as a cowgirl." It made me smile because inside my heart, I have always felt like a cowgirl, even though I never raced barrels or anything like that.

And with that, George Strait has a lot to say about cowgirls.




© 2007-2016 TIFFANY WACASER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: