Thursday, April 7, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Celebrating My Baptism 31 Years Ago

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and have been since my baptism when I was eight years old. This week I am celebrating thirty-one years as a member. I asked my mom if we had pictures from that day and she told me I could look the next time I visit her, which means probably not...

I do have a picture when I was eight years old. And even though it is possible there are no photographs from that day, I still remember it vividly.


I guess I was odd, because I loved church as a little girl. I loved going to class and learning about Jesus Christ and the scriptures. I always knew the answers and was proud of that fact. I anxiously looked forward to my baptism day.

I turned eight on Easter Sunday that year. I remember feeling so special that the year I turned eight, I was sharing my birthday with one of the most important holy days of the year. My ward had a tradition of doing baptisms on Saturdays, so I had to wait an entire six days before I could be baptized.

My whole family gathered at the church that special day. Even my non-member grandparents were there. My mother had made me a beautiful yellow dress with white flowers. I felt so grown-up and important.

My dad took me into the water and baptized me. He forgot to say Amen at the end of the prayer, so he had to do it again. After my baptism, I felt perfectly pure and holy. I felt so much joy and happiness.

After my baptism, our family went to Dairy Queen and I was allowed to choose one of the grown-up treat items. I chose a Peanut Buster Parfait.

At the time, I don't think I understand how much that day would affect my entire life. Thirty-one years later, I can say that I am grateful for the choice I made. I have a deep testimony of Jesus Christ as my Savior. I am grateful I was able to make a sacred covenant that day and join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I continue to be a faithful and active member. My husband and I are raising our children in the church and we have delighted as our four oldest children have also entered in the waters of baptism. Soon our last two children will make those covenants. I hope they always remember their special days as I have remembered mine.

© 2007-2016 TIFFANY WACASER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: