Thursday, April 28, 2016

Tweaking My Habits

Ever since reading the book, Better Than Before, I have worked hard to implement healthy and sustainable habits into my life. And it really is working. I'm creating more consistently with my scrapbooks and this blog. I'm getting more exercise than before, and I have developed a lovely scripture study routine. I'm studying my Swedish daily and seeing wonderful results from that!

However, I think I need to tweak my routines and habits a bit. I need to talk this out, so bear with me. Originally, I was getting up at 5:30 a.m. to read my scriptures and then exercise. Then I eat with my boys at 6:30 a.m. while I practice my Swedish quickly. By 7 a.m., I am done with those three things and feel ready to tackle the day.

Here's the hiccup.  My youngest daughter is having a really hard time at night right now. She sobs and cries for me. It can go on all night so I have started to bring her into bed with me. Then she plasters herself to my side and stays that way all night. Which means I get very little sleep. When 5:30 a.m. comes along, I can hardly drag myself out of bed and then I just stutter through the morning routine. The other challenge is that inadequate sleep is one of my triggers for lupus flares and headaches. If I don't get enough sleep, I pay for it the whole day with pain in my joints and a throbbing headache. I go to bed by 10 p.m. at the latest and stick to that religiously.



I have to separate the habit of getting up early from the habits of scripture study, exercise, and Swedish practice. It was working so beautifully for me--and it was so peaceful. But at this point, until I figure out how to help my daughter so she sleeps peacefully alone in her bed, I cannot sacrifice my sleep to this morning routine. This is a temporary glitch. My little girl will grow up and won't need me at night in the same way, so I'm going to just let this one go. My goal is to prioritize scripture study, exercise, and Swedish as soon as I can during the day. I can do those things while Winter sleeps or while she is occupied.



I am also going to count my outdoor work on my yard and garden as exercise. I work hard and my health monitor is showing that I am actively burning a good number of calories as I work.


Statement of Intention:

I will continue to maintain my habits of scripture study, exercise, and language practice but without sacrificing the sleep I need to function as a parent and person. I will meet the needs of my little one without feeling guilty or upset. It will all work out.

© 2007-2016 TIFFANY WACASER ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments: